Sunday, January 13, 2013

2013 Resolution

For the past few years I have made countless resolutions, plans, goals, and to-do lists of what I want to include in my days.  Not just for the typical new years resolutions, but throughout the year when I get frustrated with my lack of discipline, lack of time, energy, you name it.   I would start strong with a fabulous list and then a blog post of what I will get done now.  There should be NO EXCUSE why I can't accomplish (insert project, task, chore here) every day.  And there were many times I would actually be productive and accomplish what I wanted in the first few days. 

Does it ever last long? Nope.  It's constant failure.  Lack of self-discipline. Procrastination. Frustration. So I have constantly searched for the reasons why.  Paid attention to what kept interfering with my plans for each day.  I could, of course, never put my finger on anything specific.

Since we've been away from home I haven't even tried to create a schedule for us.  There's no point! Too many appointments, away from home and our friends to hang out with.  Not to mention I felt like poo for so long.  Now Jeremy is here with us, and we have a little more time in between transfusions.  Life has settled just a bit and the desire for consistency and a routine has returned!

2012 came to an end and the new year began so beautifully with our family together again and the hopes of our baby girl joining in the very near future.  I started thinking again about what to do now while I have a little more time and energy. Not to mention I don't have a whole household of chores to do! :)  So I reflected on the past and why I could never succeed at what i set out to accomplish.  What kind of resolutions should I set that are realistic? What can I start doing now that would have a good impact and habits for when we return home?

It was blaringly obvious.  The ONLY thing I should be concerned with making sure I do EVERYDAY is time with the Lord.  In the word.  Everything else will fall into place.  Don't get me wrong, I still know the importance of everyday chores and taking care of the family, or if you have to go to work each day, but I also know that without starting each day with the focus on HIM all those daily tasks can quickly become frustrating, mundane, and just plain unfulfilling.  

I constantly crave routine, and schedules.  But I can't be successful at anything else until my relationship with God is strengthened.  When I'm setting out to accomplish things on my own I will fail.  And I KNOW this to be fact.  So why then did I constantly try to do anything otherwise?

So my 2013 Resolution:

Get to know God first.  Let HIM be my routine each day.  Build that foundation first.  I can't wait to see what He has in store for me and my family this year.  What I will learn from studying, reading and praying. 

So how about you? What are your resolutions for this year? I would love to hear them so I can pray for you to be successful!


2 comments:

  1. Jessi I posted about the same thing yesterday. My husband and I evaluated 2012 and felt like we wasted the year, as far as growing with the Lord is concerned. Our goal in 2013 is to focus on Taking Colossians 2:6-7 and making it real in our lives. Specifically focused on being rooted in Christ and having everything else stem from that.
    Feel free to stop by my blog and check it out www.preciousgrainsofsand.blogspot.com
    Teresa
    PS I'm an old follower, but fell out of following anyone for a long time, so I feel like a new follower again and I'm excited to follow along with your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year I am focusing on not having a schedule. Odd I know. I have made a commitment to start each day with my Bible and coffee instead of the depressing news with my coffee.

    I am making a point to really enjoy everyday with my kids instead of stressing about what we didn't manage to accomplish.

    The poor goats are having to wait until almost 9:30 am to get milked but you know what? They'll live.

    ReplyDelete

Search