Thursday, December 6, 2012

The evolution of a name :)

We've finally decided on a name for baby girl!  Somehow it has taken us constant back and forth to agree on her name.  Neither one of us liked the names the other chose.  It was maddening.  Picking names for the boys was so very easy!  This is yet another sign I'm sure that she will be anything but easy when she is finally here. :)

We started with Cailyn.  We both liked it.  It was cute. And began with C!!  We thought we would go with C names for everyone.  Then one day at lunch with some friends they asked what her name would be.  I said Cailyn and one of my friends casually commented that would be interesting when calling out the kid's names because Caden and Cailyn sound so similar.   

Darn it!! I hadn't even thought about that but once it was said, it was so very true.  So I told Jeremy I wanted to pick a different name because they sound too much alike.  He would not budge for a while.  It was so very frustrating! Somehow we ended up with Kyndal.  Or Kendall, there's lots of ways to try and spell it.  We thought that would be it!

Then at our nephew's birthday party there was a little boy who's name was very similar to Caden's.  McCaden.  (I'm not sure if that's exactly how they spelled it but that's how it sounds)  So on the way home we talked about how interesting to add Mc in front of the name.  So we talked about maybe using Mckyndal.  Tossed around a couple more names and Jeremy came back to Cailyn.  Mckaylin? Makaylin? Mackaelyn?  We quickly decided we did not like the Mac part of it but definitely loved the rest of the name.  Adding the M sound in front of Cailyn was a perfect way to be able to use what we liked from the start! 

Now came another hard decision.  How do we spell it?  There are three parts to the name, The "Ma" the "Kay" and the "Lyn".  All have different ways to spell them.  Do we choose Mi, My, Ma? And for the middle do we choose kay, kai, ka, kae? AND do we choose the k or a c? We both decided pretty easily that we liked lyn for the end.  Also whichever you like best for each part you have to make sure it flows well together.  Or you'll end up with all i's or y's!

Then to figure out a middle name... I won't delay that one for you ;) It's Nancy!  We wanted to honor Jeremy's Grandmother who is one of the most Godly women we know.  She is such an inspiration.  We love you Grammy Nancy!

Now without further delay here is the first Marx Grand daughter's name:

Micailyn Nancy Marx 

I absolutely love it! We finally came back to our original name and just added the Mi on the front :) hehe! Not to mention her initials are MNM :) How cute is that? Now I can finally address her by name to everyone! I wanted to share the name sooner but thought I should wait until we agreed on the spelling.  We love you baby Micailyn! Keep being strong in there. You're loved by so many already. 


2 comments:

  1. I have the same first name but i spell it McKaylin. I really love how you guys spell it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same first name but i spell it McKaylin. I really love how you guys spell it though!

    ReplyDelete

Search