Thursday, May 1, 2014

Sugar Detox: Day 3

I so wish I could say I made it all day without any processed sugar. But I can’t. It’s so darn tricky! It’s in Everything!!!  I was doing great until about 3:00 this afternoon, I was starving so I grabbed an Activia Greek yogurt from the fridge.  As I was eating it, it dawned on me to check the ingredients because it was sweet, but I was so hoping it was just the fruit mixed in it…. Yeah right.  It has added sugar AND fructose.  Not high fructose corn syrup, but still fructose.  GEEZ.  I was actually curious because I don’t know that I’ve ever seen anything having just fructose in the ingredients list.  So I looked up what exactly fructose is.  I know it’s sugar, but I would assume it would fall in the “sugar” part of the ingredients, not listed as a separate ingredient. 

activia 

There’s crystalline fructose, and high fructose corn syrup.  I’m assuming the fructose on the label is the crystalline form which is 100% pure fructose.  High fructose corn syrup is actually a balance of glucose and fructose.  Fructose itself is not bad for you when it’s occurring naturally in your food.  But because it’s ADDED to the yogurt, or any other foods you might eat, you run the risk of consuming too much of it.  And that’s the whole point here right? To avoid any ADDED sugars.  In the case of this yogurt, even though it was so tasty, it had not only added sugar, but MORE sugar on top of it in the form of fructose.  Cool.

rudi's bread

The next thing I noticed that had sugar today was our organic bread! I buy Rudi’s organic bread from the commissary and we all love it.  I was making my husband a sandwich this morning and happened to read the label and it had organic evaporated cane juice.  Now obviously that’s the sweetener.  But now I wondered, is this an ok sweetener, or another added, processed sugar I am trying to avoid?  Enter Google.  I found a great article here that explained perfectly that it is indeed another processed sugar.  However it is on the healthier side of things.  It contains some nutrients that regular white sugar is completely devoid of! I didn’t have a sandwich for lunch, but leftover homemade chicken enchilada soup from last night! YUM!

I also discovered evaporated cane juice in my Kind bars. If you don’t know what those are, they are very yummy, healthy snack bars.

kind bar

SO, what’s a girl to do?! How serious am I going to be with this no added sugar thing? I can’t even have a sandwich or non GMO snack bar because of evaporated cane juice?! Yall I never intended for this to get so technical and scientific lol! It’s amazing what you learn when you start really paying attention.  I guess I could just bake us some bread using honey and tell my husband he has free reign on the yogurt and snack bars! Oy vey. 

Cravings have not been there at all for candy yet. And I wonder if it’s because I’m still getting sugar in these sneaky foods!  I have been very hungry though and I am sure that’s my own fault for not adding more protein to my meals yet. No I have not been avoiding eating foods, when I’m hungry I grab something to eat! Obviously I ate a yogurt and Kind bar as my snacks and they turned out to have sugar! ARGH!  I do crave some sweet tea though.  Eating all my meals with just water isn’t my favorite.

Hopefully tomorrow will have more success!

Jessi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search